Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Drive to Mahadaga

First and foremost,  I want to thank everyone for their many prayers which carry us through each day.  We started out very early today.

David and I got up at 5:15 to purchase bread while the rest of the team was busy packing the trailer and van. We set out for Mahadaga at 6:30.  Our trip went very smoothly with no setbacks on the road.  Around noon we arrived in Fada Ngorma and were warmly welcomed by Jen who made us smoothies and allowed us to build block towers with her son before setting back out on the road.  John and Matt made some last minute adjustments to the trailer suspension and we were back on the road.

We stopped briefly to eat lunch under a mango tree to eat sandwiches and drink some sweetened yogurt that we purchased in Fada.  This gave us a much needed break from sitting in the car.

Finally after nine hours on the road we started our descent in to Mahadaga which is situated at the base of a 60 ft cliff.  We unloaded our gear with the help of several workers at the mission compound.  I was especially pleased to meet Bouba who is a friend of Brendon Earl and a fellow hand powered well drilling technician.  I also had an opportunity to stop by the Center for the Advancement of the Handicapped.  There were several young girls working on painting and weaving projects. I helped Matt to carry a few boxes into a storage room.  After words I spent a few moments marveling at the work one of the girls was doing on a loom at the center before going back to the compound.  I am really looking forward to talking to the weavers as I find their craft fascinating.

We were served an excellent meal of chili and rice by our hosts.  I had the honor or sitting with Betty who has been a missionary to Fulani people since 1954,  I was really blessed and encouraged by her stories.  Please be praying for Fulani Christians who endure intense social pressure for the sake of the Gospel of Christ.


Finally to my wife Veronica and my daughter Lilli I miss you and love you both.

Mwari Zwaka Naka Africa

-Tony

1 comment:

  1. Praise God! So thankful that you all arrived safely. Maybe when you come back you can teach me more about weaving. :-) Lilli and I miss you and love you as well. Brendon actually stayed with us on Sunday and Monday night, so it was very nice to have such pleasant company. Very thankful for all the opportunities you are having. We are praying for you daily, as are many others. Love you so much.
    -Vee and Lilli

    ReplyDelete